Thursday, September 16, 2010

Who?

We resume this episode with Valenica.  She is in labor.

Drexel: Call that other negro that you’re with now. Congratulations! Mazel tov! Felicitaciones! La heim! I gotta go.

Valencia: Hello? Hello?

Patrick: Who are you calling?

Valencia: My mama.

Patrick: Okay, well come on. The car is ready. You okay?

Valencia: Yeah, I’m not feeling any contractions right now.

Patrick: Just breathe remember? In through your nose and out through your mouth. We’ll be there in a second.

Valencia: Oh God! I feel another one!

********************

Aletha pulls out a shinny diamond encrusted band out of her purse. She hands it to Peyton.

Peyton: You and I both know we’re not ready for this. The fact that you would even assume that this is going to solve anything makes me wonder if we’ll be ready for it anytime soon. The ink isn’t even dry on your divorce papers for God’s sake.

Aletha: Where do we go from here then?

Peyton: To dinner.

They both walk into the garage and hop into Aletha’s car. They both sit in silence listening to the radio. Peyton begins to sing.

Aletha turns and watches Peyton in amazement.

Peyton: Keep your eyes on the road!

Aletha: I’m sorry it’s just that I didn’t even know that you could sing.

Peyton: Yeah, I dabble a little.

Aletha: I would say that’s more than a dabble, you’ve really got talent. Why do you hide it?

Peyton: When my parents died, I stopped singing. When I’m upset or need comfort it just comes out. I don’t know why.

Aletha: So, are you upset?

Peyton: I’m just confused. I feel like we’ve gone through so much and it hasn’t even been a year yet. What does that say about us? I have never cared about Black, White, Gay or Straight. I’ve always followed my heart and up until now, I was sure that, that was the right decision.

Aletha: Is this about being a lesbian or about me? Because you know I took a chance on us too Peyton. I’m basically supporting us financially and I’m trying to be there for you emotionally too.

Peyton: Listen Aletha, just because I make $16/hr doesn’t mean I’m not contributing. And anyway, that has nothing to do with what I was trying to say. What I’m saying is, is that I don’t know if this is what YOU really want. I didn’t take it slow with you so, I’m learning as I go and I just want to know if you’re in this because you want to be committed to a life with me.

Aletha: Why would I give you a ring if that wasn’t the case? I love you baby. I’m sorry about Mr. Phillip and about not telling you that Greg had herpes. I guess I’m not used to full disclosure…or monogamy for that matter. But, you make me want to be better.

Peyton: I love you too. I want this to work.

Aletha: It will.

Aletha looks at Peyton and caresses her face.

Peyton: Keep your eyes on the road!

Aletha: Let me just look at you, I just want to touch you.

Peyton: NO! THERE’S A CAR COMING!

A car rams into Aletha’s side of the car. The car spins and hits a lamp post. Both women are face down in the air bags.
********************

Valencia is sitting up in the hospital bed nursing Isis. Patrick has gone home to pick up the car seat for the baby.

There is a knock at the door.

Valencia: Come in!

Nurse: Hi mom! Congratulations! I have the birth certificate information here for you to fill out. When you’re done, just press the button on your bed and we’ll come pick it up for you.

Valencia: Oh, okay…thank you.

Isis falls asleep and Valencia kisses her and gently places her in the bassinet. She looks at the birth certificate form and reaches over to the night stand for a pen.

Valencia: Hmmm…Mother’s Full Name.

She writes: Valencia Leona Crixus

Valencia: Father’s Full Name…

She writes: Drexel Amir Coolidge

Copyright © 2010 Cravencrest. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment