Friday, April 23, 2010

The Spot...

This episode begins at "The Spot” a blues and jazz lounge located next to Bontemps U. The décor in the club is made up of funky couches and chairs in earth tone colors. There is abstract artwork on the exposed brick walls and the large oval stage is located directly in the middle of the club (which is why the club is named “The Spot”). The lights are always low and the vibe is laid back and mellow. It’s open mic night and the show is getting ready to start. Wesley is first on the list.


Tasha: You ready Wes? You’re over there looking mighty nervous! One would think you’d be used to performing by now.

Corlis: (Chuckles a little) Don’t worry Wes, you’ve got this. You do look scared though!

Wesley: (In a joking tone) Forget you Corlis! Who invited you anyway? Anyone ever tell you that three is a crowd? Hell yeah I’m ready and hell yeah I’m nervous. It’s a packed house tonight. That’s why I’ve got my courage in a glass over here! (Looking out over the crowd) Hold on, is that Gabby over there?

Corlis: (Leans over to Tasha and speaks in a hushed tone) Ooooh, girl! No she didn’t! She’s looking extra fly too. She did that on purpose you hear me? On purpose! What you gonna do?

Tasha: Gabby? (Standing on her tip toes looking around) What the hell is she doing here?

Wesley: Huh? I’m sorry babe, I didn’t hear you.

Tasha: Oh, I said it sure is good to see her!

Wesley: Yeah it is. Hey Gabby! Gabby! Come over here!

Gabby: (Making her way through the crowd) Wesley! It’s so good to see you. Give me a hug! (Staring at Tasha and Corlis over his shoulder). How have you been?

Wesley: I’ve been good. When did you come to town?

Gabby: I got here last week for Thanksgiving. I’m still here because I just got offered a job and I’m looking for a house. I’m moving back to good ole Cravencrest. Enough about me, how have you been? You’re looking fine as always.

Wesley: Aw girl, cut it out. Still a good liar I see. You singing tonight? I miss hearing those golden pipes of yours.

Tasha: (Clearing her throat loudly) Hello Gabrielle.

Gabby: Oh, I didn’t see you there. Hello Tasha. Hello Corlis.

Corlis: (Looking her up and down) Hey…(speaking under her breath and rolling her eyes) heffa.

Tasha: While you’re here we should have you over for dinner. Wes and I have live in the East Village.

Gabby: Oh, you’re co-habitating? How quaint. I may have to take you up on that (looking directly at Wes).

Wesley: Yeah, uh, that would be cool. I’d love to have you. I mean, have you over.

Corlis: (Leans over to Tasha and speaks in a hushed tone) Girl! What? Has he lost his mind? “I’d love to have you?”

Tasha: (Leaning over to Corlis) Shut up Corlis! I’m not going to let her see me sweat. He’s my man. I’m not worried.

Gabby: Well, I’ll catch up to you later Wes. Tasha, Corlis…good evening ladies.

Tasha and Corlis: Yeah, good evening.

James: (Hopping up on the stage and grabbing the mic) Ladies and fellas! Can I have your attention please? We’re getting ready to start the show. As always, welcome to The Spot. I’m your host for the evening, James Julius. You know what it is…we do this every Friday night. There is a sign-up sheet and we go in order. Be respectful no booing or trash talk during or after performances. You can clap, snap or vibe though. Tonight before we get started, I’d like to point out that we have a legend in the house. (James looks at Gabby and winks) Gabrielle Watts! (The crowd starts cheering) Gabby, surely you’re not going to come to The Spot and not sing. Would you bless us with a song?

Gabby: (Faking a look of surprise) No, no! You all go ahead with the show. (The crowd starts cheering louder) Well, alright. Just one song…a short one.

Gabby walks towards the stage purposely bumping into Tasha on her way.

Tasha gives Gabby an angry stare.

Wesley: This is going to be great!

Gabby: (She whispers in the guitarist’s ear, walks over to the mic and begins to speak. The house band starts to play softly.) Hey y’all. How you feeling tonight? Good, good. Well, I’m feeling like I need to get something off my chest. Never let the chance to say “I love you” pass by. I love this man and I never told him. But, tonight…I’m going to serenade him like I should have done so many times before. I ain’t talking about some fictional character just to set-up the song either. This man is here in the flesh tonight. Wesley, this song is dedicated to you… (She begins to sing) “I’ve been so many places in my life and time…”

Tasha: What the HELL!?! I can’t believe this chick! She is too bold! She thinks he has feelings for her! (Tasha looks at Corlis in astonishment)

Corlis: Girl she just dedicated a damn song to this man. Hell, I have feelings for her!

Wesley: Ssssh! Damn, I’m trying to listen.

Tasha: You’re trying to listen? Oh, my God! Okay, you know what, please come get your shit from my apartment. I’ll see you whenever. C’mon Corlis.

Corlis: Hell no! You think I’m going to miss the rest of the song! She might be a trifling heffa but, the heffa can sang! You hear me? Sang! (Does a go away motion with her hands) I’ll call you later and check you on you.

Tasha: (Grabbing her coat off the back of the chair and knocking the chair over) This is some bull…Whatever!

Later on that evening there is a knock at the door. Tasha peeks through the hole and sees Wesley standing on the stoop.

Tasha: What, your key doesn’t work?

Wesley: Please Tasha, let’s not make a scene. I don’t want any drama. I just want to grab my stuff and go. I’ll pay you half the rent until the lease is up but, I have to leave. I can’t loose Gabby again. Please understand.

Tasha: You don’t want to make a scene Wesley? Well I won’t. I’m not the type to beg nor will I ever be. Let me just advise you that once you leave out that door, you are dead to me. I have never been so humiliated and disrespected in my entire existence! You have ten minutes. I will even be hospitable to Gabrielle. Tell her she can come in out of the cold. Yeah Gabby, I see you behind the bush.

Gabby and Wesley look at each other with confused looks on their faces. They enter the house and Gabby stands in the foyer. Wes jogs up the stairs and Tasha leaves the foyer and goes into the kitchen.

Wesley: (Speaking loudly so Tasha can hear) Uh, alright, I think I’ve got what I need. I really appreciate you being so cool about all this.

Tasha walks into the foyer with her hands in her pocket and a blank expression on her face. She stares at Gabby and Wes standing together and gives a heavy sigh.

Gabby: Listen Tasha, I don’t want there to be any hard feelings between us. I mean, you couldn’t have known Wesley was in love with me.

Tasha: Humph. Yeah, I guess not. Listen before you go, I want you all to take this with you…

Tasha pulls a gun out of the front pocket of her robe and shoots Gabby in the arm.

Gabby: (Crying hysterically and holding her bleeding arm) Ahhhh! Ahhh! Ahhhh!

Tasha fires another shot at Wes, grazing his cheek.

Wesley: (Holding his face) Ah! Tasha! Please…don’t do this.

Tasha stands there silent and doesn’t speak. She walks over to them and stares at them with the gun pointed at Wesley’s face. Wesley is trembling holding Gabby trying to comfort her.

Tasha: Are you trying to comfort that bitch? This is unbelievable! I really loved you Wes. I opened my home to you. Supported you in all your endeavors too! Now on a whim you decide you want to make a fool out of me…humiliate me? No, no, where I’m from you pay for shit like this. And I’ll accept my payment in blood!

Corlis opens the door.

Corlis: Tasha girl, the door was open. Oh, My God! What did you do?

Copyright © 2010 Cravencrest. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment