Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Don't Explain...

We begin this episode at Tasha and Wesley’s apartment. It’s 9:30am and Wesley wakes Tasha up with her favorite breakfast on a platter.


Wesley: Good morning beautiful.

Tasha: (Smiling and stretching) Good morning baby…what’s all this?

Wesley: Just a little somethin’ for my lady. Let’s see you’ve got French toast, turkey bacon, one egg over easy and some pink grapefruit juice.

Tasha: Wow! What got into you? This is so sweet!

Tasha leans over to give him a long kiss.

Wesley: Damn baby! I need to make you breakfast more often! Seriously though, I had something I wanted to say to you.

Tasha: Oh lawd! I knew it! I knew my dream was a premonition! (She buries her head in her hands) Oh God!

Wesley: Open your eyes baby. Listen to me.

Wesley picks up his acoustic guitar. He stares deep into Tasha’s eyes and starts to play. She starts to cry and he starts to sing. “If anyone, should ever write my life story for whatever reason, there might be….aw you’ll be there, between each line of pain and glory, ‘cause you’re the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Tasha: That was beautiful Wes. I feel like such a fool. I don’t deserve you.

Wesley: No, the reality is…I don’t deserve you. Do me a favor and look under your pillow.

Tasha: (In a curious voice) Okaaay….

She gasps as she discovers a pale pink ring box. She slowly opens the box and discovers a large Topaz surrounded by diamonds on a white gold band.

Wesley: Tasha McAllister, would you do me the honor of becoming Mrs. Tasha Eastfall? I want to spend everyday of the rest of our lives together …as husband and wife. I love you girl.

Tasha: Yes! Yes! Of course I will! (She throws her arms around him and his guitar).

They both cry as they share a long embrace!

Wesley: Do you like it baby? Is the ring okay?

Tasha: I love it, it’s perfect! Everything is perfect! I have to call my mama, my cousins, my Sorors and…wait a minute Wes. Should we be doing this right now? I mean, I’m still in Undergrad and only working at the Community Center part-time and your teacher salary isn’t enough to pay for a wedding. I suppose I could ask my daddy to help but…

Wesley: Baby listen, do you think I would have asked you unless I had everything figured out? I wanted to tell you this as a surprise but, Gabby and her mother offered me a contract at Silver Records! Can you believe it? They offered it to me two days ago and we did the signing at The Spot last night. They gave me a $50,000 signing bonus too!

Tasha: Wow…they did? This is, this is…great. So, you’re going to continue working at Parkland right? I mean, when do you get started on the album?

Wesley: Well, I told them that I didn’t want to leave my job until the summer. We’ll start work right away though. I know how you feel about Gabby and I understand. I had an entertainment attorney look over the contract and it’s solid. This is my dream baby and I really want to share it with you.

Tasha: Okay, I trust that you know what you’re doing. I just want you to be happy and cautious. She’s my sorority sister and I know her Wes. We spent three years in very close quarters and I’ve never known her to not have an ulterior motive. But, enough about the drama let’s celebrate our new life! Now get out while I get myself together! You’re taking the future Mrs. Eastfall to lunch so we can discuss our wedding plans!

Wes: Oh, I am huh? You didn’t even finish breakfast!

Tasha: I know! That’s why we’re going to get some lunch. Now, get out!

********************

We venture to the campus of Bontemps University. Auditions are being held in the Nina Simone music auditorium for the Annual Faculty and Student variety show. Professor Hill is backstage having a conversation with Peyton

Professor Hill: So, Peyton, what are you doing after your audition? It’s sort of weird to have a Saturday with no committee meeting huh?

Peyton: Tell me about it. I knew that this committee was a busy one but, not this busy! I know the show is going to be great this year. We’ve all worked hard. What am I doing later? Well…I really hadn’t thought about it. I guess I’m going back to my apartment to study…I’ve got finals in three weeks. Gotta stay sharp!

She drinks from her water bottle and steps closer to the stage to listen to Justice sing his rendition of “You and I” by Stevie Wonder.

Professor Hill: (In a low tone) He’s good isn’t he?

Peyton: Yes, he is. I would be worried if they didn’t let everyone in the show! It was smart of you to suggest accepting everyone as long as we got to screen their performances.

Professor Hill: Yeah, that way we can be inclusive and careful too. So, um it’s my birthday and my friends are throwing me a cocktail party tonight. I know you said you need to study but, I would love for you to come. I have invited the entire committee. It’s at 8 o’clock.

Peyton: Your birthday huh? How old are you? I think I see a gray hair! Just kidding I’d love to come. Should I bring anything? Text me the address.

Professor Hill: You’ve got jokes now? I understand, I see how you are. For your information, I’m 28. No need to bring anything just bring yourself. You could bring a gift. You know, if you wanted to. (He chuckles)

A few hours later, Peyton arrives at the gathering. She brought a bottle of Sauvignon for Professor Hill’s gift. She takes a quick look in her make-up mirror and knocks at the door. Professor Hill answers.

Professor Hill: Peyton! I’m so glad you could make it. (He turns to the guests) Everyone this is Peyton!

Guests: Hi Peyton!

Peyton: Thanks for the introduction. I brought you a bottle of red wine….

Professor Hill: Thank you, that was really kind of you. Let me chill this, uh, make yourself at home.

Peyton looks around at the lavish furnishings, the elaborate crown molding and the ornate staircase. She is awed at how beautiful his home is.

Karrisa: Hi Peyt! How you doing girl? This place is nice right?

Peyton: Hey girl. This is nice. I was really surprised when Prof. Hill invited me.

Karrisa: Really Peyt? Get real.

Peyton: Can you stop calling me Peyt? I hate that! And what do you mean get real?

Karrisa: At every committee meeting he is staring at you. Plus, he’ll run and open the door for you, pull out a chair for you or even fix your plate when we have refreshments!

Peyton: No, he’s just chivalrous. You’re going way too far with it. As usual! I mean even if that were the case, he’s a professor and I’m a student.

Karrisa: Uh huh. You’re not his student! It’s so obvious that he’s feelin you. Let him look at me the way he looks at you…I’ll put him between two pieces of white bread and take a bite!

Peyton: (She laughs out loud) Girl, you are too much for me.

Professor Hill: Hello ladies are you enjoying the party? Excuse me, Peyton can I see you for a moment?

Karrisa: Well, that’s my cue. See ya later Peyt!

Peyton: (She walks away rolling her eyes) Bye Karrisa.

Professor Hill: I know you’re into music and I wanted to show you my record and concert paraphernalia collection.

Peyton: Oh, Professor Hill, I hate to steal you away from your guests on your birthday. Maybe we can look at it some other time?

Professor Hill: Please, we’re not at school…call me Gregory.

Peyton: Okay…Gregory, don’t you think it’s rude to leave your guests?

Gregory: Not at all, they have plenty of spirit and spirits to keep them company.

They walk down the hall to his music room. The walls are covered with framed concert posters and black and white photos of Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, BB King, Marvin Gaye, Luther Vandross and many other artists.

Gregory walks over to his record player and starts to play “Don’t Explain” by Billie Holiday.

Peyton: (Looking through the shelves filled with vinyl records) This is amazing. If I had this collection, I’d never leave home.

Gregory: What’s even more amazing is how beautiful you are and you don’t even know it.

Peyton: (Blushing with her back toward him) Aren’t you forward?

Gregory: I know that you may think that a relationship between a Professor and a student is inappropriate but, I can assure you that I know the meaning of discretion. You’re 23 years old and that’s only a five year difference. I’ve been watching you since our first committee meeting in the Fall.

Peyton: Listen, Profes…I mean Gregory. I don’t even know you well enough to say that I’ll be in a relationship with you and I’m put off by how direct you are. I…

Before she can finish her sentence, Gregory grabs her and kisses her. Her body tenses at first, then, she relaxes and begins to kiss him back. They caress each other’s bodies and kiss their way to the overstuffed leather couch in the corner of the room. Gregory begins to move his hand up Peyton’s thigh. She let’s out an audible sigh as she grabs the back of his head.

Just then, Justice walks past the room. He walks back and stares in the door watching them in disbelief…

Copyright © 2010 Cravencrest. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment