Thursday, July 8, 2010

You Need a Manager

Tasha is sitting at a circular table covered with a fuchsia table cloth and a burnt orange taffeta overlay. The chair that she is sitting in is covered with a white chair cover and tied with a burnt orange sash with a large fuchsia peony blossom tucked in the folds of the bow. There is a large golden candelabra in the middle of the table with cd cases bearing the couples monogram at every place setting. The cutlery has an antique brass finish and each plate is clear glass with a golden rim. The soft candle light dances on top of the glass creating an illusion of a diamond sparkling in the light of the sun. The place cards are written on a thick parchment with the attendee’s names in calligraphy. Even the table number is prominently displayed on parchment in ornate calligraphy.



Tasha is very proud of herself. She pulled together every detail. She takes a moment to drink in the sight of what is to be her reception décor and turns toward the kitchen to ready the meal.


Wesley walks in the apartment and drops his briefcase at the door. He loosens his tie and throws his blazer across the banister of the stairs. He does this all while talking on the phone.

Wesley: I am not going to do that! Tell Gabrielle that I will do a showcase after our honeymoon and not a day before! This is not up for debate damn it!

He hangs up the phone and proceeds to walk to the kitchen. He pauses when he sees the spread in the living room. He is amazed at how beautiful it is. Tasha emerges from the kitchen.

Tasha: You hungry baby?

Wesley: Oh my God baby! This is beautiful. Is this what you planned for the reception?

Tasha: Yeah. Do you really like it? We can change it around if you don’t I mean…

Wesley: No, no my love. Keep it just the way it is. I can’t believe I’m marrying such a dynamic woman. Look at all this. And you’re feeding me too?

Tasha: Well, I’ve got to take care of my man. Now, let’s eat.

Wesley: Okay so, what’s this?

Tasha: This is called a summer salad with mixed greens, artichokes, olives, feta, red onions and cherry tomatoes. The dressing is balsamic vinaigrette.

Wesley puts his napkin in his lap and digs into the salad. The food tastes great and he is impressed.

Wesley: So, I talked to Gabrielle’s assistant today and told her that I can’t do the showcase until after the honeymoon.

Tasha: Good for you baby. I’m proud of you for standing up for yourself. You know I’ve been thinking…you need a manager.

Wesley: Yeah, I have it in my contract that I can perform anywhere I choose whenever I choose but, I haven’t been booking anything because I can’t manage teaching summer school, wedding plans and booking shows.

Tasha: Well, that’s why you need a manager and I know just the person…me. I gave the community center my two week notice.

Wesley: You did what?

Tasha: I gave them my two week notice. I sensed that you needed me baby and we’d make a good team.

Wesley: Listen Tasha, when I need your help, I’ll ask for it. This is my career and I don’t need you trying to tie yourself to my rocket so you can blow up with me. You need your own thing. The last thing I need is you sabotaging my situation at Silver Records.

Tasha: Excuse me? Tie myself to your rocket? You had better deflate that big ass head of yours before I do it for you! Why are you afraid that I would jeopardize your relationship with Silver huh? Is it Silver you’re worried about or Gabrielle? Tell me now before we go any further with this whole marriage thing.

Wesley gets up and walks up the stairs to their bedroom. Tasha follows behind him.

Tasha: I said tell me Wesley!

Wesley: Get out of my face Tasha.

Tasha: No! What are you going to do huh? I’m all in your face! Now what? Answer me!

Wesley: I said get out of my face! Just leave me alone!

Tasha thumps Wesley in the head and pushes him.

Tasha: You are so full of yourself Wesley! You could have just said that you didn’t think it was a good idea. Now I see that you are obviously feeling Gabrielle!

Wesley pushes her and she hits her head on the corner of their dresser. Tasha’s forehead is bleeding and she starts to cry.

Wesley: Oh Shit! I’m so sorry baby…oh my God. I’m sorry.

Tasha (crying): You are sorry Wesley. But, not as sorry as you’re going to be.

Tasha rushes down the stairs, grabs her purse and her keys.

Wesley: Where are you going?

Tasha: Get out of my way Wesley! I’m going to get away from you!

Tasha slams the door and goes to her car. She sits in the parking lot and looks at her forehead in the rearview mirror. She cranks the car, and opens her cell phone.

Ring, ring, ring…

Gabrielle: Gabrielle Silver speaking.

Tasha: Gabby this is Tasha. We need to talk….

Copyright © 2010 Cravencrest. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment