Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I Think I'm Excited...

We begin this episode at Gardenia Park. It’s a warm spring day and the park is teeming with people. Lovers are picnicking on the lush grass, owners are playing Frisbee with their dogs, children are building castles in the sandbox and families are taking leisurely strolls through the winding park paths. Peyton is sitting on a park bench next to Lorna. They’re eating snow cones and catching up with one another.


Lorna: Girl, my life has been crazy the past few months. That’s why I haven’t called you. Life has been taking me to all these new places.

Peyton: It’s okay. Trust me, it’s been a similar situation with me.

She swats at a mosquito.

Peyton: I have been involved in the craziest stuff here lately.

Lorna: Not you Miss. Prim and Proper!

They both laugh.

Peyton: You wouldn’t believe this stuff if I told you! Trust me. Anyway, it’s such a beautiful day today. I can’t even remember what the cold felt like.

Lorna: Try me.

Peyton: Huh?

Lorna: Try me. You said that I wouldn’t believe you if you told me. So, tell me and see if I believe you.

Peyton: Now, why would you want to go and ruin a perfect afternoon?

Lorna gives Peyton a look and sucks her teeth.

Peyton: Okay, okay! Dang, you’re starting to make me feel bad. Well, long story short, I made out with a professor…

Lorna: Damn Peyt!

Peyton: Uh, don’t call me Peyt…you know I hate that!

Lorna: And….

Peyton sighs heavily and rolls her eyes.

Peyton: Well, we made out in his house during his birthday party. His wife comes home and starts to freak out. After I go to read him his rights about being married, his wife tells me they’re in an open marriage and hits on me! She gave me her card and told me she wanted to go for a drink sometime. I was too through!

Lorna: What the hell?

Peyton: I know! He was so suave and distinguished. He’s only 28. He even listens to the same music as I do. We made out in his “music room” of all places! I really saw myself developing something there. I was knocked off my feet when his wife came in the house and started tearing the club up!

Lorna: So, what are you going to do?

Peyton: What do you mean; what am I going to do? I’m not going to pursue anything with a married man. I have to protect my heart. I don’t care about their open marriage.

Lorna: No, not about him! I’m talking about the chick.

Peyton: Chile please! I’m not calling that heffa! I’m not trying to get caught up in any foolishness. Plus, hel-lo…I’m not gay!

Lorna: I’m not either but, the best date I ever went on was with a woman.

Peyton: Are you serious? When did all this happen?

Lorna: I told you it’s been a crazy couple of months.

Peyton: Lorna, you know that isn’t you.

Lorna: What isn’t me? Needing compassion and a soft caress from time to time? Needing someone who understands what I am feeling without having to speak? Wanting someone to make love to my mind as well as my body? Which part of that isn’t me?

Peyton: I don’t know uh, maybe the part that just said that YOU AREN’T GAY!

Lorna: Listen Peyton, I don’t know about you but, I’m tired of being tired. I want to be with someone who appreciates and respects me. Someone I can enjoy every aspect of life with.  Someone that doesn’t require complete submission on my part. I am ready to do what it takes to find that someone are you?  Who is to say that your someone is a man?

Peyton: Well, I never looked at it that way. These brothas are tired.

Lorna: Girl, these ruff and tumble negroes these days! Just call her. Call her right now.

Peyton: I threw her card in my purse…

She digs through her bag.

Peyton: I can’t believe I let you talk me into this!

Lorna: You’ll be thanking me shortly.

Peyton: Oh God! It’s ringing.

Receptionist:  Aletha Hill's office.

Peyton:  Mrs. Hill please.

Receptionist:  One moment please.
Aletha: Aletha Hill speaking.

Peyton: Uh, Aletha, yes, uh, this is Peyton.

Aletha: Ah yes, Peyton with the beautiful brown eyes.

Peyton: Uh huh…I was wondering if you’d still be interested in getting that drink?

Aletha: Of course! Where are you now?

Peyton: Oh, I’m in Gardenia Park. I can…

Aletha: I’ll have my driver pick you up in 30 minutes. See you soon.

Peyton: 30 minutes…okay.

Aletha: See you soon sweetness.

Peyton closes her phone and blankly stares off into space.

Lorna: What did she say?

Peyton: We’re meeting in 30 minutes. She’s sending her driver.

Lorna: Damn!  Her driver? 

Peyton:  Yeah...I think I’m excited.

Copyright © 2010 Cravencrest. All Rights Reserved. Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.

No comments:

Post a Comment